The Ministry of Health would like the public to remain alert and protect themselves from getting the Flu. Symptoms include Fever, Tiredness, Lack of appetite, Coughing, Running Nose, Body Chills, Headache and Generalized body pain.
The Ministry also advises everyone to take the necessary steps to protect themselves, their families and the general public from contracting the Flu.
Here are some of the things you can do to protect yourself and others from getting the Flu:-
- Wash your hands with soap and water especially after coughing and sneezing.
If soap and water are not available, use hand sanitizers and rub your hands together very hard for about a minute.
- Avoid shaking hands and kissing;
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when coughing or sneezing
- Throw away soiled tissue in a garbage bin after single use;
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth, because germs spread this way.
- Stay away from crowds, young children and very elderly persons if you are sick;
- Stay home from work or school until your illness is over.
- Drink a lot of fluids: Juice, Water, Coconut water and soups;
- If you get the flu contact your health care provider as soon as possible, especially if you are suffering from Diabetes, Heart Problems, Asthma, HIV/AIDS, Cancer or taking Steroid Medications.
Please be advised that Dominica is not experiencing an outbreak of H3N2 at this moment.
For more information contact:
Dr Paul Ricketts
Princess Margaret Hospital
Telephone: (767) 266 3458